The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday, January 9th, 2024

kazu

Posted (edited)

@StLouisCruisers and @puppycanducruise and Quartzsite Cruiser:  Thanks for the welcome!  I have been around for about a year now, but haven't written too much here.  I'm sure most won't remember me.   

@rafinmd:  I'm not a medical physicist, but rather a nuclear engineer that works in the radiotherapy community.  I am involved in the development of radiation dose calculation algorithms used in the treatment planning process, which is done prior to treatment.  I wish you the best on your radiation treatments.

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good Morning to all and thanks for the FR&D.  Cold and cloudy morning here, we expect snow changing to rain later with high winds.  Glad I took care of the deck yesterday, with the rain it can add hundreds of pounds to the deck if the snow is not gone.  

@Crazy For Cats Jake, so sorry to hear about Amelia, it is so hard to lose our babies.

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels, and good luck with your procedures today.  I know they are not fun.

@rafinmd Glad your procedure went well yesterday, and thanks for the update.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, loved the meme of the Great Master, and your pictures.

@kazu Jacqui, thanks for keeping the daily up.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all. It stayed above freezing all night so we didn’t get any snow but it is still raining. The moisture is welcome of course but there may be flooding in low lying areas. We stay at or above freezing until Sunday when our temperature will really drop. Strange winter. 

We went out for fresh vegetables from our wholesaler this morning but like @rafinmdwe are now hunkered down for the rest of the day. I have two loaves of bread to bake so that will warm up the kitchen nicely. Looking forward to fresh bread.

Prayers for all needing them and cheers to those celebrating. I have a friend stuck near Columbus Ohio waiting until tomorrow to drive home. They drove from Eufaula to Atlanta to fly to Columbus and left before the storms hit eufaula. Their friends there are still without power. Crazy winter all around.

• Like 22

Good morning!

It's a very wet morning. The rain is coming down hard, my gutters are overflowing as it's just so much volume and the trees are letting me know that the wind is blowing. Lots of power outages in the area but so far so good here. We lost power sometime overnight but just long enough to have to reset the alarm clock, microwave, and log in to the computer. Keeping my fingers crossed that that's it for today. 

This is a stay-at-home day as rain and wind is the total forecast for the day. The mountain passes are having blizzard conditions. Instead I'll get some cleaning done, work on the counted cross-stitch, work on the jigsaw puzzle, etc. DS is coming by later this afternoon to double check the pumphouse for me and do a few other "son-do" jobs. We have cold temps coming on Thursday for a few days (think in the teens and single digits) and I don't want to be froze up and have no water. 

Take care and stay safe! 

Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Iguana Mama cancelled the eating and drinking tour at Puerto Plata and had nothing that I wanted to change to, so I’m replacing it with a generic RCI tour. If I keep the Panama booking on NCL—there is a potential conflict with school—I’ll be at Puerto Plata again in December. Or I might change that trip to the Zaandam from San Diego in January and visit Corinto?

• Like 18

Good afternoon from Cork.

Well now, after reading all the posts about storms, tornados, huge falls of rain, imminent storms and snow, I think I will stay quiet and just say that I can live with the weather we have😁

I was on DGD after school run today, so we are sitting here admiring their energy.  Wish we had some of it.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites.  Sounds like a good day, no minestrone here.  I might open a tin for Pat but I am not a fan of soups.  Sorry about your beautiful cat, you'll miss her, @Crazy For Cats, but what a wonderful way to go!  Every pet we've had I've been the one who has had to make that awful decision and take the animal to the vet the last time.  We had neighbours in Virginia who had a little dog they had rescued and didn't know how old he was - he loved left-over shepherd's pie and one day they found him lying dead with his head in his empty dish - I'm sure there was a smile on his face!

We had rain and lots of wind during the night, the paper says the reservoir is at 84%, but after this storm I imagine/hope it will be at 90%!  We sprang a leak in one of our skylights and will have to get on to the strata to get that seen to.  It had a leak when we moved in and was repaired once,  Hopefully it will just need re-caulking.  We are threatened with a deep freeze and the possibility of snow in the coming days, so, @VMax1700, warn your DS!

We were in Corinto and took a tour to Leon with Jacqui, I remember the heat, but Jacqui had such a great group on that roll call, and the tour was interesting, there was lunch with dancing and we had a lot of fun.  I mentioned in the previous Daily when Corinto was the port that someone sitting on the steps of the cathedral offered me $100 for the umbrella  I was using as a sun shade - no way I was giving that up!  

Arenal Volcano?  seen from the van.

P1000390.thumb.JPG.456017256abe8b6175a91bc73ce88be2.JPG

There was a map!

P1000451.thumb.JPG.f115737125170dc3e42a1db02eab5be4.JPG

The cathedral

P1000349.thumb.JPG.5011d6f4ded7357d89af30749b6bb3f3.JPG

Inside was cooler

P1000461.thumb.JPG.4053d1c1e63cba08406059297df2fa3f.JPG

We visited the market, too

P1000357.thumb.JPG.6229c0f43106f3927336d9c541de2daa.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

Greetings from Jacksonville.

We made it here safe and sound.

Sitting int he hotel lobby waiting for a room.  We figured this would happen, but at least we beat the worst of the weather.

Thank you all for the good wishes and prayers. It means a lot.

Will post later after the procedure is done.

God Bless you all,

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

Hello Everyone from Honolulu on board the Volendam!

The cruise has been great fun with the Dailyites. 😊 Things are going well.

Nothing much planned for HI as I have been here a few times. It is enjoyable just being warm and on a BHB!

@Crazy For Cats, I am so sorry to hear about sweet baby girl Amelia. They shatter part of our hearts when they leave us. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family who all are missing her, I am sure.

Take care, all of those affected by that horrible Winter storm. Please be safe.

My thanks to all contributors here.

Take care all..😊😎

Caron

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Sitting int he hotel lobby waiting for a room.  We figured this would happen, but at least we beat the worst of the weather.

God Bless you all,

Terri

Thanks for letting us know.  I checked into the Daily just to see if you had made it!  

The snow is still coming down at a pretty steady rate.  It is a wet, heavy snow, so shoveling is hard.  I'm not allowed to shovel for six weeks and feel guilty for not being out there to help Sue.  The problem will be tonight.  Temps are supposed to rise this afternoon and there is a possibility of the snow turning to rain.  Then the temps fall tonight causing a refreeze.  We have salt for the driveway ready.  I think it is a good day to bundle up on the couch and watch a movie.

• Like 18

@Crazy For Cats so sorry for your loss of Amanda. She reminds me of my Delilah who recently passed. It is so “cat” to seem totally fine until the instant that they are not. I have been there more than once. It has been months and I still look for Delilah on my bed every time I wake.  Take care and relish her memory. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the FR/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

I've never been up in a balloon. I've photographed them when we used to have balloon races during our Regatta. I'll salute choreographers. I like apricots dried or in jam. I like the meal. Hard pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Corinto. Not a good day for Joan of Arc, but good days for photography buffs and iphone enthusiasts.

It's an ugly day here. There was snow overnight, not a lot, but then sleet and the roads were slushy this morning. Quite a few accidents and schools were on a 2 hour delay. Then it turned to rain and the temperature is 44F. It's raining buckets and we are under high wind warnings. Already some power outages but not here; I hope mine stays on. On the good side I slept about 5 hours total last night. Maybe the Cymbalta my PCP added is helping. Then I heard that the mitigation work will be paid for by my insurance. I'm just back from PT, and I also dropped the disc with my MRI at the PO to send to the radiologist. Now I'm in for the rest of the day.

@Seasick Sailor I'm sorry to hear your PG meal was disappointing. From what I read it's hit or miss, which shouldn't be for a specialty eatery.

@Crazy For Cats Thinking of you.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos of Corinto. Looks like a place I can skip.

@ger_77 Your weather forecast sounds awful. Stay safe!

@marshhawk Sorry your appointment didn't go well. Big no-no on DH smoking with the oxygen on. I think you need to get that neighbor to pay for Tuesday night dog walking; she's taking advantage of you.

@dfish Sue sounds like BFF; years ago he bought this much too big snow blower he calls Big Bertha!

@aliaschief Your cruise sounds great. I'm glad your neighborhood escaped damage from the storms. 

@RMLincoln Anything to do with taxes seems excessively convoluted these days. I'm glad you're all stocked up with the essentials. Great photos of the Balloon Fiesta.

@TAW1963 I remember you Todd. 

@Nickelpenny The stroganoff looks good. And you were industrious to make homemade noodles!

@rafinmd Thanks for explaining about your radiation treatments. I hope they take care of the 2 spots. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos of Leon/Corinto.

@Vict0riann Thanks for the Corinto photos. 

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you made it to Jacksonville safely. Prayers the procedure goes well.

@Cruisercl I'm jealous!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Corinto and to Leon.  Our first stop was in 2015 on Statendam.  One time to Leon was enough, as there is not much to see. 

Interesting.  We quite enjoyed the day in Leon - did a private tour as @Vict0riann outlined.  Thanks to her for the pics, today 👍 

4 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

@StLouisCruisers and @puppycanducruise and Quartzsite Cruiser:  Thanks for the welcome!  I have been around for about a year now, but haven't written too much here.  I'm sure most won't remember me.   

I was sure you had been here.  So nice to see you posting 🙂 

@rafinmd Roy, I so hope the treatments work 🙏 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Happy Tuesday from a wintry day here.  It's been snowing all day, but was too warm to stick.  Now, it's starting to accumulate.  Schools were cancelled last night already, worried about the afternoon commute.  The weather peeps say 5+ inches.  More snow forecast for Friday.  

@Cruzin TerriGlad you made it to your destination, hoping all goes well.  

@marshhawksorry to here your appointment didn't go so well yesterday...

@rafinmdThanks for explaining your treatment, hoping all goes well for you.  

@Nickelpennyyour stroganoff looks good!  Homemade noodles, wow!  

Prayers for all who need them, and the cruising people are making me excited about our cruise next month!  

I'm ready to work on my next quilt, just finished watching All Creatures Great and Small, a wonderful show!  I'd love to visit the area where they film!  Have a good rest of the day, Karen

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from a sunny and pleasant Quartzsite.  It is about 55F but in the sun without wind, it is not bad outside.  We made it Parker and back, and I finally have everything put way.  Now I just need to get the chicken in the oven in a few minutes.  I'm making chicken thighs cooked in a mushroom soup mixture that will be served with rice.  We'll also have Watergate Salad and wine.

4 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning!

It's a very wet morning. The rain is coming down hard, my gutters are overflowing as it's just so much volume and the trees are letting me know that the wind is blowing. Lots of power outages in the area but so far so good here. We lost power sometime overnight but just long enough to have to reset the alarm clock, microwave, and log in to the computer. Keeping my fingers crossed that that's it for today. 

This is a stay-at-home day as rain and wind is the total forecast for the day. The mountain passes are having blizzard conditions. Instead I'll get some cleaning done, work on the counted cross-stitch, work on the jigsaw puzzle, etc. DS is coming by later this afternoon to double check the pumphouse for me and do a few other "son-do" jobs. We have cold temps coming on Thursday for a few days (think in the teens and single digits) and I don't want to be froze up and have no water. 

Take care and stay safe! 

Karen

Karen, I hope the storm does not affect  you any more than it has already.  I hope you don't lose power and your pump does not freeze.  I'm glad your DS will check on it for you.

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

God Bless you all,

Terri

Terri, thank you for letting us know you made it safely to Jacksonville.  I know that is a relief.  I hope the procedure goes smoothly this afternoon.

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

Hello Everyone from Honolulu on board the Volendam!

The cruise has been great fun with the Dailyites. 😊 Things are going well.

Nothing much planned for HI as I have been here a few times. It is enjoyable just being warm and on a BHB!

@Crazy For Cats, I am so sorry to hear about sweet baby girl Amelia. They shatter part of our hearts when they leave us. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family who all are missing her, I am sure.

Take care, all of those affected by that horrible Winter storm. Please be safe.

My thanks to all contributors here.

Take care all..😊😎

Caron

Caron, I'm glad the cruise is going well and that you are having fun with other Dailyites.  I'm looking forward to our Hawaii cruise and meeting Daily friends in person.

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Thanks for letting us know.  I checked into the Daily just to see if you had made it!  

The snow is still coming down at a pretty steady rate.  It is a wet, heavy snow, so shoveling is hard.  I'm not allowed to shovel for six weeks and feel guilty for not being out there to help Sue.  The problem will be tonight.  Temps are supposed to rise this afternoon and there is a possibility of the snow turning to rain.  Then the temps fall tonight causing a refreeze.  We have salt for the driveway ready.  I think it is a good day to bundle up on the couch and watch a movie.

Debbie, I'm sure you are heartbroken you can't be out there shoveling snow with Sue.  😁

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I've never been up in a balloon. I've photographed them when we used to have balloon races during our Regatta. I'll salute choreographers. I like apricots dried or in jam. I like the meal. Hard pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Corinto. Not a good day for Joan of Arc, but good days for photography buffs and iphone enthusiasts.

It's an ugly day here. There was snow overnight, not a lot, but then sleet and the roads were slushy this morning. Quite a few accidents and schools were on a 2 hour delay. Then it turned to rain and the temperature is 44F. It's raining buckets and we are under high wind warnings. Already some power outages but not here; I hope mine stays on. On the good side I slept about 5 hours total last night. Maybe the Cymbalta my PCP added is helping. Then I heard that the mitigation work will be paid for by my insurance. I'm just back from PT, and I also dropped the disc with my MRI at the PO to send to the radiologist. Now I'm in for the rest of the day.

@Seasick Sailor I'm sorry to hear your PG meal was disappointing. From what I read it's hit or miss, which shouldn't be for a specialty eatery.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the photos of Corinto. Looks like a place I can skip.

@marshhawk Sorry your appointment didn't go well. Big no-no on DH smoking with the oxygen on. I think you need to get that neighbor to pay for Tuesday night dog walking; she's taking advantage of you.

@dfish Sue sounds like BFF; years ago he bought this much too big snow blower he calls Big Bertha!

@aliaschief Your cruise sounds great. I'm glad your neighborhood escaped damage from the storms. 

@RMLincoln Anything to do with taxes seems excessively convoluted these days. I'm glad you're all stocked up with the essentials. Great photos of the Balloon Fiesta.

@Nickelpenny The stroganoff looks good. And you were industrious to make homemade noodles!

@rafinmd Thanks for explaining about your radiation treatments. I hope they take care of the 2 spots. 

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you made it to Jacksonville safely. Prayers the procedure goes well.

@Cruisercl I'm jealous!

Vanessa, I'm glad you got more sleep and that the Cymbalta might be beginning to work.  It is good news the insurance will pay for the mitigation work.  Sometimes ports are what you make them, and that was the case for me with Corinto.  If I know it is a poor country with friendly people, then I can try to see it with a different eye.  Of course, sometimes that does not work.  I just find it interesting to see other places and cultures.  It helped that I had read about Corinto and the school that was adopted several years ago by Captain Albert and his crew.  We even drove by the school, but I couldn't get a good picture of it.

Lenda

• Like 18

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruisercl I'm jealous!

Vanessa you are amazing to respond to our Daily-ites each and everyone!

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Vanessa you are amazing to respond to our Daily-ites each and everyone!

Yes, she is - I second that!!

@JazzyV we appreciate your attentiveness and thoughtfulness.

• Like 15

Good afternoon.  We are back from crazy Belize.  Three other ships in port made for crazy congestion at the port.  Our tour was lovely but I am going to cancel my next Belize tour in February because it was too busy there and also long tender rides.  We went to Amon Ra ruins.   I am not going to get to my Corinto photos but will share one of the memories of a lifetime when our last group of passengers heading into the gift shop were attacked by Africanized (killer) bees.  Several were so badly stung they had to go home.  Dixie @summer slope I recall you said you were on the tour too.  All the beautiful photos and a more complete story would be in one of the links Sandi attached.  

IMG_20240109_121938466_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240109_110408927.jpg

IMG_20240109_113157823.jpg

IMG_20240109_110232942.jpg

IMG_20240109_112300762_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240109_112207757_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240109_110829083_HDR.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Ann, yes  we just pulled everything in and storm shutters are down. Crazy weather. Ocean is wild!

Glad you are ok.   We have a little bit more to go.

Thanks for thinking of me.   

Stay safe

Charlene

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

4 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Ann, yes  we just pulled everything in and storm shutters are down. Crazy weather. Ocean is wild!

Glad you are ok.   We have a little bit more to go.

Thanks for thinking of me.   

Stay safe

Charlene

Please be careful until this is over.  Prayers for your area and that things calm down.🙏

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I'm sure you are heartbroken you can't be out there shoveling snow with Sue.  😁

How did you guess?

I hope all of you experiencing threatening weather come through unscathed.  Be careful and take necessary precautions.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2