Wednesday November 15th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

45 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. In the mid fifties here this morning. On and off rain and occasional strong gust of wind. Every time we get a strong gust of wind the deck is pelleted with falling acorns. These are some prolific oaks.  @RedneckBobI’ll try another age discovery  test later. Me thinks you’re right.

House cleaners will be arriving soon. We really lucked out when we got to hire them. Just hope they will still come back after our long absence from cruise.

Okay a big thanks to all who make the Daily happen. Enjoy your hump day.

@RMLincoln I do hope you have a smooth transition into your new home. Bruce

image.jpeg.62dc84a56e3213490c7dfef28115992f.jpegimage.jpeg.44af2cebe661041f23a2e2ca92e0796a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e7d402bfe277c313423643b8788aa862.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a01195d69e84fca475c7c28000559005.jpeg

99.99% on this here thread passed the test you just posted. By the way about hitting the TV to get the channel to come in, they hit me. They put this tin foil hat on me, told to raise my arms and adjust my arms accordingly to get the correct picture! 😳

• Like 6
  • Haha 14

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the Daily Reports Rich.  We recycle everyday.   We have a large rolling bin outside our back door in the garage and everything that can go in goes in.   Our sevice is only monthly so it is really heavy when we roll it out to the curb.  My sister makes the best filled carrot Bundt cake and made one for my birthday last year.   I cleaned out the fridge yesterday as it was trash pickup day.   A great quote by Eleanor Roosevelt.    Thanks for all the photos of today's port in Iceland, someday we will pull ourselves away from the cabin in the summer to take the VOV.  

I think I will pass on the Ramen, the sweet daiquiri and the unavailable wine.   

Prayers for everyone on our care list especially @marshhawk.  Thinking of you today @RMLincoln as you take your last glances at your MD home and head north towards NJ.   Prayers for all in war zones Israel, Ukraine and the innocents in Gaza.  Continued prayers for the hostages.   @Jazzy I hope you got a better night's sleep. 

Another beautiful fall day here with a gorgeous sunrise and temperature above freezing.  All my fall outside work is done and that is a wonderful feeling.   Yesterday I wrapped all of the Christmas presents I have to wrap and I called the company that is making a custom lake map for John's Christmas present.  I ordered it on August 29 and still hasn't arrived.   I told them I am calling my cc company and cancelling it next week if I don't have a tracking number.   I will work on organizing the Christmas stuff I pulled out for take down and for next year.  We will definitely be decorating in full in 2024.  Our neighbors just walked out of the woods dragging the deer they shot in the common area that enters next to our house.   It is first day of firearm deer season.   Fewer deer, basically all pesky squirrels have vanished in addition to the fat raccoon and possums.  I think someone has to be poisoning them because raccoons are hard to shoot without hounds.  Have a lovely day!  Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is only reaching 50 later and is sunny and 34.We have a decent recycling program here and I used to make Bundt cakes when the children were around. The recipe sounds interesting. I love the miso flavor.

We were at the port on our VOV cruise on the Veendam. My DB and DSIL were with us and I remember many fun meals together.DDDH and I walked all over the town . The weather was sunny and in the sixties that day.

Resized_Resized_20150823_193851_193464142785468.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is only reaching 50 later and is sunny and 34.We have a decent recycling program here and I used to make Bundt cakes when the children were around. The recipe sounds interesting. I love the miso flavor.

We were at the port on our VOV cruise on the Veendam. My DB and DSIL were with us and I remember many fun meals together.DDDH and I walked all over the town . The weather was sunny and in the sixties that day.

Resized_Resized_20150823_193851_193464142785468.jpeg

That's a great photo of you two enjoying each other's company.  I hope it brings a smile to your face as you recall the happy memories.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

I slept so much better last night and feel human today.  I did wake up around 4:00 am because my right hip was hurting, so I got up and walked it out.  I was able to get back to sleep afterwards and slept in quite late.  Today I have to deliver the save the date notices for the neighborhood winter party that Sue and I are hosting.  Then I have my appointment at the Spine and Pain Clinic.  I should have gotten going with them sooner, but the move last year kind of got in the way.  Hopefully, we can get back on track.  I am overdue for nerve ablation for my stenosis and we have to see if there is something they can do for my neck pain when I walk.  The problem there is that all my shock absorbers (discs) are deteriorated.  I'm not looking for a surgical solution as the problem is too extensive for surgery.  I don't want just pain medication, though.  PT never did anything for it either.  

We were in Isafjordur last summer and went out to the Dynjandi waterfall.  I won't post pictures as they would just be repeats of what is there.  It was a great visit and the waterfall is amazing.  We toured with a small group through Arctic Shorex and our tour guide/driver is also a folksinger and treated us to a song.  She also gave us the history of interesting food items like rancid shark meat.  She likes it, her grandchildren stick up their nose to it.  

Today's meal is much nicer than rancid fish.  We are well into soup and stew season and this soup would warm you right up!   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/healthy-miso-ramen-with-chicken/

misoramenandchicken1.thumb.jpg.f503da08a96f1d2d54c4aee5622eef4c.jpg

This recipe from Food and Wine looks really easy!  https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/miso-chicken-ramen

misoramenandchicken2.thumb.jpg.2d45db5306a5614cd0a89c54ca87f974.jpg

I think the flavors in this one would be out of this world.  It would probably be worth the work.  https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/miso-chicken-katsu-ramen/

misoramenandchicken3.thumb.jpg.c5ff8b12ef96399fbb4867d28cb96158.jpg

@RMLincoln I hope today goes smoothly for you.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

22 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

99.99% on this here thread passed the test you just posted. By the way about hitting the TV to get the channel to come in, they hit me. They put this tin foil hat on me, told to raise my arms and adjust my arms accordingly to get the correct picture! 😳

Yes I can relate. We had placed our tv antenna on a small rise behind our house. Dad had me turning and moving the antenna around and would yell through the open window stop when the reception was at its best. We got three channels and one Canadian station. Saturday night was Lawrence Welk, Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke. A simple but great era to grow up in.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Yes I can relate. We had placed our tv antenna on a small rise behind our house. Dad had me turning and moving the antenna around and would yell through the open window stop when the reception was at its best. We got three channels and one Canadian station. Saturday night was Lawrence Welk, Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke. A simple but great era to grow up in.

And of course Sunday nite was Ed Sullivan! That’s where I learned the famous wine, Pinot Topo Gigio! 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites.!  I was supposed to drive DH to his appointment today, but with no sleep, and a serious coughing jag, I never made it out the door.  

I don't remember my grandparents in VT watching anything but Hee Haw on Saturday night.  Not sure if they even got more than one channel.  My grandparents in Cambridge MA, only had morning shows on.  Does anyone remember Ted Mack's original amatuer Hour?

Well, off to try and nap.  I am sure if I can get some sleep, I will feel better.  

image.png.c2de120a2eb728c31f6e965e61b12aa1.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's a great photo of you two enjoying each other's company.  I hope it brings a smile to your face as you recall the happy memories.

Thank you Sandi. We loved cruising and had a great time over the years. I am fortunate in that most of my memories are happy ones.

• Like 21

54 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

That does bring back some memories for me.  We also got three channels and you had to turn the antenna for each channel to get the best reception for that channel.  It depended on whether you wanted to watch Lawrence Welk or Sing Along with Mitch for the musical entree.  If I recall correctly, Have Gun Will Travel and Gunsmoke were on the same channel so we didn't have to change the antenna between shows.

• Like 20

Thank you Richm Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the Hump Day report.3 Great days and I leave Eleanor Roosevelt's take on things.  I have not been to today's port.  Mr. King sure had staying power.  I have not been to today's port, and will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Garden Salad, Rack of Lamb, and Dutch Apple Pie as served last night in Rotterdam's Club Orange last night.

dishes14.jpg

Roy

• Like 26

We stopped at our destination of the day, Isafjordur, Iceland, in August 2022.  We took a tour to Vigur Bird Island, which has three inhabitants.  A married couple, along with their five year old son live on the island.  During the season they have puffins, but we only saw young chicks and one adult who flew by too fast to get a photo.  In addition to conducting tours of their island, the couple also generate eiderdown.  We were told the Eider duck is the largest sea duck.  The island also has a small windmill, which is the only one in Iceland, that was used to mill flour.  We ended our visit with coffee and a piece of cake that included rhubarb grown on the island.

Upon arrival to Isafjordur, we had this view from our balcony.

IMG_0482.thumb.jpeg.29b679c7baaa40a7383dc5bd5d9054b3.jpeg

This is the boat we took to Vigur Bird Island. 

DSC_9017.thumb.jpeg.01eb84ea4978c8d15be8d7070a1d9e6f.jpeg

One of several buildings on the island.

DSC_9025.thumb.jpeg.40f2511c72024f1815710193b6774f43.jpeg

DSC_9024.thumb.jpeg.d4e32b8145bdb928f13775f0b963c27f.jpeg

DSC_9021.thumb.jpeg.4a099eea05cdb560f5c6dde59be42ed5.jpeg

IMG_0475.thumb.jpeg.3ee8cc17101853a3e6a469523d7d878b.jpeg

IMG_0476.thumb.jpeg.642835864c5eac3587b0ff01aa9a3617.jpeg

IMG_0481.thumb.jpeg.5b2c92b5bcbf986d0dd81b8445349c77.jpeg

DSC_9047.thumb.jpeg.b1b112b17c9e0da99170cd6259f57313.jpeg

DSC_9036.thumb.jpeg.5ec067d44595c9e34679e851e522a361.jpeg

DSC_9040.thumb.jpeg.24b9dd1ad0a26a02db8519f56b5deb04.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I do recycle, in fact it's tomorrow. But they stopped taking glass, as it breaks and gets in the machinery. So we have a big recycle dumpster for glass only behind the borough building. I like bundt cakes but haven't made one in a long time. I will be looking in the fridge for anything spoiled, to go out in tomorrow's trash. Good quote. Probably pass on the meal (miso), yes to the drink and wine. I haven't been to Isafjordur.

Another nice day, sunny and 58F, going into the 60's. The weekend will be cold. I had a bit better night, with 4.5 hours sleep. My Apple watch said 2.5 but I know I got more, and the Fitbit was accurate. I'm doing laundry today, braving going up and down the steps. I was expecting a FedEx package, supposedly between 11-3, and of course they came early, when I was in the basement. I had to sign, as it's wine. My departed friend Ruth's Mother arrives this evening from the UK. I'll go with BFF to the airport; probably won't go inside due to my walking issues. 

@sailingdutchy @kochleffel @Vict0riann Welcome back and safe travels to your homes.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for your extensive photo collection!

@RedneckBob You calling us old? 😜

@Denise T I hope you like the new doctor.

@RMLincoln Safe travels north! You're beginning an exciting new chapter in your lives.

@Lady Hudson I hope DH Bill is feeling better soon.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Fancy motorhome, with satellite tv and remote control! Thanks for the Iceland photos. 

@smitty34877 Lovely photo ♥️.

@dfish I hope you get some good information at your appointment today. 

@marshhawk Sorry you're not feeling better. Is there any way to get seen by your PCP since the Pulmonologist cancelled your appointment?

@HAL4NOW Nice sunrise photos.

@Mtn2Sea Lovely photos.

@rafinmd Thanks for the sunrise. I hope you're feeling better.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Hello from Hamilton Ontario. We are gearing up for the Grey Cup here. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers against Montreal Louettes. I believe this is the first time these teams have met in this classic. The weather is cool and sunny. Carrie U Durwood is performing along with Green Day. I happen to live two streets away so I will be able to hear everything. Next week we will be on the Rotterdam after four years away from cruising.Niew Statendam was our last cruise and was outta standing. Rooting for Montreal to win ,have a good day,Kathy 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

First, thank you Melanie @puppycanducruise for the info about the Digestive Biscuits.  We had never seen them in our stores, but after looking it up, I see they are available at Walmart.  Thank you again @erewhon for the recipe!  They sound yummy, and a lot like (but maybe better) than our "Magic Cookie Bars".  I think I'll make your recipe for Christmas.  Who doesn't love Kit Kats?!

Every day is recycling day here.  We have a large bin that gets picked up every other week, and yard waste that gets picked up weekly.  A lot of mine goes into my compost bins and not into the yard waste. 

I have 2 bundt cake pans but haven't used them in years.  We don't eat a lot of cakes unless it's someone's birthday.  I do need to clean out the fridge, and should start doing that sooner than later before the cruise.

I love a strawberry daquiri, but will pass on the red wine.  The meal would be good if someone else made it for me. 😉  

@RedneckBob I too laughed at Bruce @aliaschief's remark that some of us may not get the Lucy comment.  Not this group. 🤣

Welcome home @Vict0riann, @sailingdutchy and @kochleffel!

We were in Isafjordur on the 2018 VOV.  We took a tour to the Westfjords and went to the old Viking village Thingeyri.  We went to an interactive museum where we had Icelandic Viking beer, wore authentic Viking clothing, and made bread.  Fun day!

Lovely drive to the Westfjords

Westfjords.jpg.929e47d140c58dc22361fd9c2b63777c.jpg

Some furs in the interactive museum

1921080364_fursinteractivemuseum.jpg.ad0444ccfca112871700b4d627bd8e1d.jpg

1063425786_interactivemuseum.jpg.44a0a5b69748d276d0ec47d4b5d60760.jpg

The museum was operated by a husband/wife team.  She sewed all the clothing, he made all the furniture and light fixtures.

1645949937_husbandwifeteamshesewedalltheclotheshemadeallthefurniture.thumb.jpg.ea9df37496d7683338408d8ae1f901c0.jpg

Icelandic Viking beer.  It was quite good!

982598579_IcelandicVikingbeer.jpg.b512a0704e4ad45670775bdbd9a7d5b2.jpg

We had some fun with the costumes.  

1575368834_MullerVikings.thumb.jpg.a651f30881a68ebd4acda9715cb2e99f.jpg

And I helped bake bread over a fire.

82623540_cookingbreadoverfire.thumb.jpg.ce39fcc076441decc9d4f2991da6a0c7.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1