Merged Topics - Server Errors

It’s weird. When it happens I can get to other boards like the port boards but not the carnival board. But if I have a direct link to a carnival thread I can get to it. Just can’t get to the board with the carnival threads on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

It’s weird. When it happens I can get to other boards like the port boards but not the carnival board. But if I have a direct link to a carnival thread I can get to it. Just can’t get to the board with the carnival threads on it.

That is just what I am experiencing, too!

It only affects the boards for Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.

This is the thread on the 'Need Help? Ask Here!' board that a Cruise Critic employee has posted in.  Unfortunately it is a bunch of merged threads all jumbled.  No one has a definitive answer yet.

6 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Yes, same thing here! It's awfully dodgy.

Some links work (on some days) and then some days they won't.

Sometimes I get the Carnival section, and then sometimes I don't.

Sometimes BOLD works, sometimes it doesn't.
Italics usually works all the time

but that could be a function of Adobe Flash? (which I recently updated)

I thought maybe it was just I who couldn't get into Carnival and Holland America. Glad to know it's everyone. Just like yesterday, I could get in during the mornings, but not at night. I don't see any message from the CC managers anywhere.

My guess is that when CC decided to change the web site, they adopted software that had already been designed for someone else, but had it modified to suit their own needs. When doing this, there are usually a few "hiccups" along the way, which causes the I.T. folks to do a little tweaking to the software. At least, that's been our experience here where I work. Adopting someone else's software is cheaper than having software created specifically for a particular business, but that also can create some problems, as witnessed here over the past few days. 

3 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

I thought maybe it was just I who couldn't get into Carnival and Holland America. Glad to know it's everyone. Just like yesterday, I could get in during the mornings, but not at night. I don't see any message from the CC managers anywhere.

A Cruise Critic employee(CC Help Jenn) has posted in the thread I linked to in my previous post.  Her posts are on pages 4 and 5.  No official reason has been given.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

It only affects the boards for Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess, and Royal Caribbean.

This is the thread on the 'Need Help? Ask Here!' board that a Cruise Critic employee has posted in.  Unfortunately it is a bunch of merged threads all jumbled.  No one has a definitive answer yet.

It also at least for me does not work on Ask a Cruise Question

10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Same problem here :classic_blush:

21 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

"A" site, or EVERY site?  I believe that there are probably a lot of different sites for the webhost.... who knows where this one falls?  And, I also know that there are service level agreements too, so depending on who they deem 'most important', you have no idea where CruiseCritic is on that list - and if there was someone manning trouble tickets during a holiday.

No, I do not know and I believe the same would apply to you.    

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Things are much better today, I'm still getting the double loading, but CC is doing it for me, and not making me log in every time. 

Ditto for me. :classic_smile:

But just saying that has tended to be the "kiss of death". :classic_ohmy:

Could reliability be dramatically improved by providing  a "fingers-crossed" emoji?

JB  image.png.f10ddfa2fdb450ee38fa31efe08bbb14.png

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Ditto for me. :classic_smile:

But just saying that has tended to be the "kiss of death". :classic_ohmy:

Could reliability be dramatically improved by providing  a "fingers-crossed" emoji?

JB  image.png.f10ddfa2fdb450ee38fa31efe08bbb14.png

I resisted posting till now because I was afraid of jinxing it.   Thanks for whatever was done to fix the problem.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

Just curious. Usually CC will leave a note explaining why the boards are down

Well, there's a sticky thread (where they merged about 4 different threads regarding the problem) at the top of the page:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2618202-merged-server-errors-error-message-mysql-server-has-gone-away/

I also was  having problems getting into RCCL.but could get into others.  Strange.  Still getting use to the whole new thing. We went away on my cruise in September. Bam came back. Went on few times later and completely changed.  Confusing.